BigOldRailsTemplate – A Whole Dummy App in a Rails Template
Mike Gunderloy (ex-Rails activist and Rails Inside writer) has hit the ball out of the template park with BigOldRailsTemplate. We've written about Rails 2.3's templating features before, but Mike has taken it way beyond merely installing a few plugins to actually packing an entire dummy application into a single template!
If you're looking to start a new Rails application, consider using Mike's template. It'll save you a ton of time, and you can always remove the parts you're not keen on. Even better, fork it on Github and come up with alternatives.
The README gives the full scoop, but Mike's template includes the following features:
- Works on Rails 2.3 and assumes a Git-based source control mechanism
- Authlogic for user authentication
- A simple authorization system
- Attachment management with Paperclip
- Pagination with will-paginate
- Search with Searchlogic
- Testing tools included (Shoulda, Mocha, Object Daddy, parallel-test, rack-bug, and more..)
- Administration interface using admin-data plugin
And.. this is only scratching the surface. Enjoy!
Alternatively, if you prefer some lighter alternatives, check out Jeremy McAnally's Rails-Templates project for a selection.